Many features are identical with the classical Unix-Tail.
Smart Tail has a graphical user interface (GUI) but can be used
without one too.
New: A "Regular Expression Assistant" (see screenshots).
It helps to create and test regular expressions (search expressions).
Furthermore it comes with a tutorial, a reference and other help texts.
It is a kind of regular expression wizzard.
New: Files in ZIP-archives (only "grep"-like).
New: A "Statistics Table" (see screenshots).
It shows what was found how often and where it was found.
Choosing the Files to be filtered
- Single Files including ZIP-archives.
- Files of a directory.
- A filter for files added by a directory.
- Removing single files.
- Removing all files.
- Extraction of files that printed something (search filtered something out)
- Regular Expressions.
- "OR" condition, ok this is a simple "|". At least one expression must be found.
- "AND" condition. All expressions must be found.
- Over more than one line.
- Search between timestamps / datestamps (can handle any format).
- "Dynamical" Search: Special tails can append new search expressions to "ordinary" running tails.
This feature is especially usefull if don't
you know some search expressions in advance (befor starting the
Classical (Unix-) Tail Options
- "--retry"... Retry if a file was not found. See (Unix-) Tail option.
- "-n"... The last n lines to be displayed. See (Unix-) Tail option.
- "-s"... The time intervall the program uses to look for new lines that where appended to the files.
See (Unix-) Tail option.
- "-q"... The quiet option. Show file headers or not. See (Unix-) Tail option.
- "--follow=filename"... The program follows a file if it is renamed as long as
a file ("filename") with the original old name is discovered.
Non (Unix-) Tail conform Options
- Mixed Output... All files write their messages immediatly (not one file after another).
- Timestamp... Can be appended for every single message of a file in mixed output or
in the classical file header.
- "Suspend" / "Resume" of all tails or single tails.
- "Search" / "Search Again" in text field of main window.
- Status window for monitoring the status of every single tail: "Found", "Not Found", "Retry",
"Tailing Queueing", "Tailing Writing","Tailing" (mixed output), "Error".
- Displays regular expressions as Tooltip in status window. Especially usefull for
dynamically appended regular Expressions.
- Status line in main window including progress bar.
- Writes configurations to files or loads them from file.
- Statistics Table showing what was found where and how often.
- A text field in the main window.
- Standard output (without GUI).
- A file (rolling file appender). Example: If the file becomes greater than 10 MB it is moved and
renamed to a file containing the index "1". If it reaches the 10 MB
line again it is moved and renamed to a file containing the index "2"
and so on.
Dynamically appended search expression
- Some special tails don't output anything. They append new
search expressions to (already) running "ordinary" tails.